Friday, June 29, 2007

Light Dinner and Fruit Desserts

Cassie's friend Kailaigh (sp) spent the day with us at the shore today. It was nice to meet her especially since they will be roommates next year. The girls ate dinner at Popeye's (!!!) and my dinner tonight was a butternut squash and green pepper grilled kabob. I boiled the squash for 10 minutes before skewering it with the pepper and putting it on the grill. It was really simple with just a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.

Dinner was followed by two fruit desserts. Cassie had requested peach cobbler which I ended up making with peaches and blueberries. The dough was made from a mix that I picked up at Delicious Orchards earlier today. It was just simpler since we are at the beach without access to flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, etc needed to make a biscuit from scratch. There was no cinnamon in the house so I used a sprinkle of nutmeg. Syrup was the only sweetener in the fruit. The topping was a light whipped cream.

The second dessert was strawberry shortcake. I’m on a blueberry kick though (since they are local) so I mixed the strawberries and blueberries with a little sugar. I did keep a dish of strawberries separate since I know Bruce is a purist and would prefer it to the mixed berries. The dough was the same as for the dumplings and again, I used the light whipped cream to layer the fruit and the biscuits.

1 comment:

Jeanne: said...

These look so yummy! Just wanted you to know I've got your blog linked on mine. (: