Sunday, December 10, 2006

Deck The Halls

We had our annual Christmas tree trimming party. After playing around with the timing the past few years, I think settling on a Sunday afternoon was the right move. Of course, at this time of year, it is difficult to fit into everyone's schedule (unfortunately Cassie and TJ had to work), but because it's more informal, people can just drop by or stay all afternoon. They can bring their kids and/or come after (or before) church. I found it to be a flexible time for a holiday party.


There was a really nice mix of some of our favorite people from church, work, family and long time friends. I got so busy, that I forgot to take pictures of everyone. So I decided to post photos of some of the lovely ornaments people brought to put on my tree.


I thought it was really sweet of people to help trim the tree with decorations they brought. The first Christmas tree that I bought for my own place, was in 1995. I only had a few ornaments (every year, my mom would buy me one when I was growing up so that I would have a collection as an adult). Because the tree was so huge though, I still didn't have nearly enough ornaments. When I had the first tree trimming party, I asked everyone to bring an ornament.


In the 11 years since then, I have collected more ornaments than I can even use in a year. So each year I have a theme (the past 2 years are red and white). I'll use all kinds of ornaments, but I try to give it an overall look with a certain color scheme. I also then have a lot of ornaments that can be used throughout the whole house.


Because it was an afternoon party, we didn't have a ton of food, but we seemed to have just the right amount. Glen brought some crackers and cheese and wonderful pumpkin bread that helped round out the buffet. Chris and I made chili. I made vegetarian chili and Chris made turkey sausage chili. Earlier in the week, I made a much too big batch of chipotle black bean soup, (Soak beans overnight and drain. Saute oil, chopped onion, chopped peppers, minced garlic. Stir in oregano, cumin, chipotle sauce. Add Water, Bay Leaf, Black Beans. Simmer uncovered 2 hours (or till tender - could pressure cook). Stir in cocoa, oj, cilantro, scallions, salt. Simmer 5 minutes and serve) so I used it as the base for my vegetable chili and added sauted onion and peppers along with my chili powder spice mix and kidney beans. I almost forgot how to make it since it has been a really long time. It cooked down most of the day, and by the end of the day, was really thick with a really intense smokey flavor. We served it with sour cream, cheese and yellow rice: (from Moosewood Simple Suppers) Saute oil and brown rice and generous pinch of saffron. Add Water and Salt. Cover, boil, lower heat, and simmer 40 minutes.

We also served tortilla chips and apples with a velveeta and beer fondue (just put cut up velveeta with 1/2 cup of beer in a fondue pot and melt over low heat).

Of course since it's Christmas, I made a few batches of cookies. I got the recipes from Martha Stewart for peppermint merangues, chocolate espresso cookies and pumpkin cookies. I also made the Eagle Magic Cookie Bars (these are my favorite):
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for glass dish). In small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter; mix well. Press crumb mixture firmly on bottom of 13X9-inch baking pan.
Pour EAGLE BRAND® evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with remaining ingredients; press down firmly with fork.
Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store leftovers covered at room temperature.
Notes: Recipe Variations: Substitute chocolate chips or nuts with: candy coated pieces, dried cranberries, raisins, mini marshmallows or butterscotch chips.

2 comments:

TJ said...

SO uh wow... blogging... just seems so unlike you... OH well... the theme of it all fits you tho...

just testing out the
comment section...
nice layout ^^

Melicious said...

Thanks, TJ. . . the blog thing is new for me. . . that's why it's always so out of date. LOL. I need to update Christmas and a dinner party we had last night.

It's fun for me to document events this way.